Saturday, November 10, 2007

Week 10 Theme ~ Irony

I walk in the front door and before I can even get my coat off the inquisition starts. “Why are you late,” the nagging mother speaks as she stares at me with “the look.” “Oh, I had to take Justin somewhere,” I say trying to prepare myself for the inevitable inquiry and advice that’s about to come my way. “Why hasn’t he got his car fixed anyways? You must be sick of driving him around all the time, right?” “I don’t know mom, we’re trying to find one, but no I don’t mind driving him as much as you apparently mind that I do.” “Well does he still have his job?” “Yes mom, though it’s none of your business he still does.” “Well you never know he never keeps one for very long.” “Alright, that’s enough, I don’t want to get into it with you I just came to drop off these eggs from Nana, here,” I shove the carton in front of her and head towards the door; I have to get out of here. “I don’t know why you have such bad taste in men, you and your grandmother are the same way, and you definitely don’t take after me in that department. You two like to be controlled.” “What is that suppose to mean, what are you even talking about, you seriously just like to start shit with me don’t you?”
The front door opens and shuts again; I can here my stepfather kicking his heavy boots off, careless of the mud he’s dripping onto the floor. Nearly stumbling through the kitchen, I can smell the booze on his breath before he even rounds the corner. “Where the hell is my dinner? I’ve worked all day and I want a hot meal!” “Oh hunny, I have it right here, it’s almost done, why don’t you go sit in your chair and watch a little TV and I’ll bring it right in for you, ok?” “Hurry it up!” He yells at her as he swaggers off.
She diligently makes the Neanderthal his plate as if he was a child; steak, potatoes, and string beans with half and half and lots of butter. It’s pretty much the same meal I have been eating in this house since childhood because of him, always afraid to try something new. She carries the food into the living room and sets it on the TV tray beside his chair, being careful not to disturb him while he’s watching the game; she’s as quiet as a mouse.
“Hey, I need you to go to the store and buy me a thirty rack darling,” he shouts out the order never thanking her for the meal. “Alright hunny, I have to run some errands anyways.” “No, just get the beer and bring it back, otherwise you’ll be gone all night, always running your mouth to people. And this steak is over cooked!” “Oh I’m sorry I thought I watched it pretty good, I didn’t think it was burnt.” “Well it is, just go get the beer.” “Ok I’ll be right back.” Who is this woman?

2 comments:

Cleopatra said...

I'm not sure this is what you wanted or not, let me kknow. Thanx

johngoldfine said...

You certainly are dealing with an ironic situation and you do a wonderful job of laying out all the details that make this reader writhe in embarrassment for the mother' humiliation and shame at sharing a gender with the stepfather. The dialogue sounds right and your comments about things like the menu are very sharp.

All that said, you're writing about the situation with a little of the distance and coldness of irony, but not in a genuinely ironic way. No, I can't explain it better! I hardly know what I mean myself!

But I always want good writing, which this is, so we both are happy!