Monday, November 5, 2007

Week 8 Theme ~ Small to large

I am surfing through the Internet when I encounter an article that pops up on Yahoo news that catches my attention, “Follow in 385,000 yr old human footsteps.” Footpaths believed to be left 385,000 years ago in Naples, Italy were recently opened to the public; you can actually walk in the footsteps of the first humans, how incredible is that? There are six trails at the edge of a volcano and also a primitive hand print in southern Italy that tourists are able to see. I lean back in my chair and begin to drift off….

The first primitive humans that thousands of years ago roamed the earth, I know that they existed but to actually see the evidence is kind of astonishing. The picture on the computer is small but you are still able to see perfectly the footprints on the hard volcanic rock, a cast of our ancestors’ feet. I try to imagine myself walking barefoot along the base of a volcano, pushing myself on despite pain or exhaustion, just trying to survive. I can’t imagine it, I get winded hiking Mount Battie and I have sneakers on. It is a completely different world now, none of us would know how to survive then and vice versa.It seems like a fairy tale or a myth, a time long, long ago.

I wonder if there will still be an Earth thousands of years from now, will there be anyone left to remember our race? How much more will we evolve, how much more will the world change? Judging by what is currently happening, from global warming, pollution, the raping of our natural resources, to the constant looming threat of nuclear, chemical or biological war this planet doesn’t have long. Either we are going to blow ourselves up or destroy the Earth by taking everything and leaving nothing. I feel sorry for future generations, if something is not done now about these threats there will be nothing left. And you would think that the politicians would come to their senses and put there effort and money into a solution instead of perpetuating the problem.

And all of this makes me wish that myself and the ones I love are long gone before the inevitable happens. This is why I have no plans on bringing any children into this decaying world; it is not fair or safe. I feel devastated for those that will see the end and I sincerely hope that it does not happen.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

Hey cleopatra--yes, this gives the small to large idea a good ride. I particularly liked "I get winded hiking Mount Battie and I have sneakers on" because it is so very small, so very local and specific, so very rooted in place.